Thursday, June 6, 2013

Review: The Fault in Our Stars- John Green

What a slut time is. She screws everybody.

Goodreads Synopsis

Despite the tumor-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

My review

I’d been putting off this review for a while. I guess my thoughts on the book were stars I couldn’t fathom into constellations. They still aren’t quite coherent yet but I’ll give it my best shot.

There are few books that offer such an extraordinary life/opinion changing experience as TFIOS has. John Green delivers such profound messages in such a subtle way, it’s astounding. And although it takes quite a lot for me to switch on the waterworks, some things in the book brought on the occasional sniffles.

I adored all the characters in the book- be it Hazel with her AIA obsession whose lungs sucked at being lungs, Augustus with his goofy smile and cancer ridden body or Isaac with his blindness. It was impossible NOT to connect to Hazel and Gus. Their characters were so real and yet somehow so enigmatic as well. I loved the optimistic approach that they had towards life- not letting the disease rule their choices and the casual way they addressed it. The humor was infectious and ever present in their friendly banter and wisecracks.

“Everything tastes like pennies. Aside from that, I’m on a roller coaster that only goes up, kid,” Gus answered. Isaac laughed. “How are the eyes?”

“Oh, excellent,” he said. “I mean, they’re not in my head is the only problem.”

“Awesome, yeah,” Gus said. “Not to one-up you or anything, but my body is made out of cancer.”

“So I heard,” Isaac said, trying not to let it get to him. He fumbled toward Gus’s hand and found only his thigh. 
“I’m taken,” Gus said.

Augustus Waters is one character that’ll probably remain a favorite for a long time. Everything about him- from his flirtatious comments and worldly wisdom to his enthusiastic smile and crappy driving skills- made me grin like a goofball. Hazel’s POV had a perfect blend of humor, pain and heartbreak and a whole lot of other emotions. The whole idea about the An Imperial Affliction and its appropriately abrupt ending was pretty awesome. The ending was beautiful, although maddeningly sad. 

Some of things I loved best (in no particular order):-

1. The makeshift ‘pre-funeral’ and Isaac’s eulogy (it was heartbreaking and funny at the same time)
2. The ‘date’ at Orangee  (and it just wasn’t the sumptuous food or the excellent ambience either)
3. The aftermath of the disastrous trip to Peter’s house
4. Augustus’ Letter (kinda made me cry)
5. Isaac’s revenge (some tricks NEVER get old :P)

We are like a bunch of dogs squirting on fire hydrants. We poison the groundwater with our toxic piss, marking everything MINE in a ridiculous attempt to survive our deaths. I can’t stop pissing on fire hydrants. I know it’s silly and useless—epically useless in my current state—but I am an animal like any other.

The truth of that particular statement hit me hard. What Gus puts forward so eloquently is such a simple concept that few understand. Staking claim on things or objectifying people is futile, not to mention ridiculous since death is the only inevitable thing in life. 

I’ll be forever grateful to John Green for writing such perfection. Highly recommended with 5/5 stars!














No comments:

Post a Comment